The Power of Magnesium on Overall Health
Mar 01, 2019 05:31PM
by Katie Nelson
Essential to life, critical for good health, and a vital component within our cells, magnesium’s benefits help our bodies maintain balance, avoid illness, perform well under stress, maintain a general state of good health and slow the aging process.
Magnesium serves hundreds of functions within the body and is an essential component of bone health, heart health, a healthy nervous system, cellular energy, hormone regulation and the relaxation and activation of muscle tissue.
Magnesium in the body:
- The fourth most abundant mineral in the body; 3,751 identified receptor sites
- One percent resides in blood; the rest is in bone and soft tissues
- It activatesover 300 cellular and biochemical reactions
- Magnesium has five general functions: catalyzing reactions, producing and transporting energy; synthesizing protein; transmitting nerve signals; and relaxing muscles
- Roughly 75 percent of Americans are deficient in magnesium; over 50 percent of cases go undiagnosed due to testing blood serum levels versus magnesium RBC
- 56 conditions are linked to deficiency; over 100 symptoms are alleviated with magnesium therapy
Conditions linked to magnesium deficiency:
- Headaches and insomnia
- Muscles cramps, restless leg syndrome and fibromyalgia
- High blood pressure and heart disease
- Asthma, acne, eczema and psoriasis
- Anxiety, depression, autism, ADD
What is the most bioavailable form of magnesium?
While magnesium oxide contains the highest amount of elemental magnesium, it has the lowest absorption of all forms at just 4 percent. Magnesium chelates are the most bio-available and have the highest absorption rate. These include magnesium malate, taurate, citrate, and glycinate.
Katie Nelson is a registered dietician and the in-house functional nutritionist at Sixth Avenue Medial Pharmacy located at 508 W. 6th Avenue, in Spokane. For more information call 509-455-9345 or visit SixthAvenueMedicalPharmacy.com.
Special Offer: During the month of March, all magnesium supplements are 10 percent off at Sixth Avenue Medical Pharmacy. Talk to Katie about her recommended supplements for you and your family!