Top 5 Benefits of Holistic Dentistry
by Louise DeFelice
With more folks seeking natural or holistic alternatives when it comes to their food, household products and healthcare, it’s no wonder the dental industry is following suit. Keep reading to find out what it means to take a holistic approach to dentistry and why choosing a holistic dentist will help you keep your teeth longer and achieve the beautiful, healthy smile you deserve.
1. Bug free zone: A holistic approach to dentistry, or integrative dentistry, sees the mouth as an integrated part of the body and considers oral health problems as they relate to total body health. The mouth does not exist in a vacuum. Getting holes in your teeth (cavities) is not normal. The mouth is a microenvironment that mimics the health of your total body. Did you know that plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth can be an indicator of and increase your risk for plaque and tartar buildup in your arteries? The same bacteria associated with gum disease has been found in the hearts of patients with heart disease, in the brains of patients with Alzheimer’s, and in cancer cells of patients with pancreatic cancer. A holistic dentist focuses on balancing the bacteria in their patients mouth to improve not only their teeth and gums but their overall health as well.
2. No black teeth: Holistic dentistry goes much deeper than just cleaning and fixing teeth; each patient’s entire well-being is taken into consideration. As part of a holistic philosophy, holistic dentists provide safe mercury amalgam removal technique (SMART) and use biocompatible materials to restore your bite and smile. The Minamata Convention Treaty designed to protect human health and the environment now has 28 countries which have pledged to phase out the use of dental amalgams and ban the use of dental amalgams in women, nursing and pregnant women, and children.
3. Fluoride-free: Holistic dentists don’t advocate the indiscriminate use of fluoride as it is a known neurotoxin. Instead, they opt for products and treatments to make their patient’s teeth stronger using alternatives to fluoride. Dental cavities, also known as dental caries, is the second most prevalent disease in the world, coming in only slightly behind the common cold. Topical ozone therapy can provide many more benefits than fluoride without any harmful effects.
tech: Choosing a holistic dentist does not mean
sacrificing high tech treatments. In fact, it’s just the opposite. Holistic
dentistry is focused on modern, minimally-invasive technologies and treatments.
State-of-the-art options include:
· Advanced 3D low dose digital x-rays
· Laser treatments to treat gum disease
· High tech ceramic dental implants
· Same day crown technology
· Impression scanning
5. Snore no more: Many of the signs of snoring, sleep apnea and sleep disordered breathing can be noticed during a routine dental exam and cleaning. Inadequate sleep can lead to weight gain, memory loss, high blood pressure, stroke, heart attacks, impaired alertness and sudden death. A holistically oriented sleep-trained dentist can manufacture a comfortable and cost-effective mouthpiece to keep the airway clear and allow proper breathing throughout the night.
Dr. Louise DeFelice is the owner and holistic dentist at DeFelice Dentistry located at 4703 N. Maple St., Spokane, WA. Dr. Louise and her staff are on a health and wellness mission to help patients through education, prevention and compassionate, personalized care. For more information, visit Facebook: @defelicedentistry, Instagram: @louise_defelice_dds, email: [email protected] or DeFeliceDentistry.com. To make an appointment, call 509-850-0918.